Caring for Dogs
Administering Medication to Dogs
On occasion, you may be sent home with medication to administer to your furry canine friend. Learning how to administer the medication with the precise instructions from your veterinarian, will make the process easier both for you and your dog. It is very important to follow the given instructions from your veterinarian. Be sure to administer the full amount of medication over the number of days instructed by your veterinarian.
Tablets & Capsules
- Place the pill between the thumb and the index finger of one hand.
- Firmly grasp the upper jaw with the thumb and index finger of the other hand.
- Gently fold the upper lip over the teeth as you open the mouth. This will reduce the chance of being bitten.
- Rotate your wrist to tilt the head upwards.
- Use your middle finger to slowly open the lower jaw.
- Keep your middle finger over the small incisor teeth and deposit the pill as far back on the tongue as possible.
- Immediately close the mouth. Keeping your hand over the mouth, put the head down to facilitate swallowing.
- Stroke the throat or blow on the nose to encourage swallowing.